In the quest for a killer physique, people will try just about anything. This can be a very bad thing. Supplements and vitamins are the newest wave and a lot have little or no effect. There are four particular supplements that are tried and true when it comes to supplements that can make a difference in your physique. Listed in no particular order, these have proven positive in years of research.
1) Green Food Supplements. “Eat your vegetables”. Just about every kid on the planet was told this by some well-meaning adult. Looking at the green blobs on the plate, scowling, holding your nose and shoving it in. Whether or not those adults knew it, they were so right about it being good for the body. If you are working on your physique, it needs to be a complete body workout. From bones to blood, your inner physique needs to be maintained and built up too. Green leafy vegetables (spinach, romaine, and kale) provide some serious health benefits:
- Fiber – digestion and weight control
- Vitamin C – helps make collagen which is a major component of cartilage which in turn aids in joint flexibility. It also slows bone loss and reduces the risk of fractures.
- Calcium – bone strength
Other green vegetables such as broccoli, green peas, green beans, green peppers, and Brussel sprouts provide a myriad of vitamins and minerals such as B12, protein, calcium, iron and other trace vitamins. There are also a newer type of non-traditional green resources: Spirulina, Chlorella and Wheatgrass.
This is a blue-green algae that is used a lot by Vegans to supplement their diets. Most take it as a supplement to up their B-12. It actually is not a huge source for that but it is has some incredible effects that have been researched and proven. It helps improve lipid and glucose metabolism, reduces liver fat and protects the heart. It is the only green resource that is a true detoxifier. It removes the heavy metal arsenic build up as well as trace amounts of other heavy metals. It has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties as well.
This is a more popular source of some nutrients but is not as tested or effective as Spirulina. It is still beneficial as it does contain some Iron and B-12. Trace amounts of protein have also been found. It does provide healthy intestinal bacteria and some can have irritated bowels upon first use.
This has been a natural, homeopathic go-to since the early 1940’s. People are shouting about its anti-cancer properties and vegans are blending it and drinking it for protein. Now, this is a fine thing to do, but the amount of protein you will garner from wheatgrass is less than what is contained in a half a cup of broccoli. That is not to say that it does not have benefits – it does. Fiber, some protein, calcium, beta-carotene and trace amounts of b-12. If you drink it with the purpose of fiber and a bit of added protein – great. The other claims have only been made after research in a petri-dish, not on human studies. It won’t hurt you and is a good source of fiber.
These valuable nutrients from green vegetables are imperative to good health. For those who haven’t outgrown the distaste, it is still extremely important for your dietary needs but you now have the advantage of pills and powders. Make sure they are purified – a lot of organic and natural supplements have contaminants in them so be sure to look for a pure or purified supplement. Also look for one containing Spurilina as it is the most beneficial to your overall health.
2) Whey Protein: The greens work on areas that you may not always think of when working on your physique, as does whey protein, but, it also contributes to muscle mass which is a bit more tangible. Whey Protein is considered the safest, most effective supplement on the market today. Everyone from infants to body builders consume it because of its amazing health benefits. Whey protein contains 9 amino acids – that is an amazing amount. Whey is considered a complete protein. Protein is the compound that is your body’s building block. The protein found in whey is used for muscles, bones and skin. It is low in fat and lactose; high in protein and amino acids. It is a complete protein as it contains branch chain amino acids. The amino acids cannot be made by your body, you have to ingest them. Whey protein is the fastest, easiest and most effective way to supply these to your body. It is safe and is being studied to be used for medicinal purposes from diseases involving muscular atrophy (like ALS) to skin issues (acne, scarring). It builds incredible lean muscle and is easily digested.
3) BCAA’s: Branch chain amino acids. These amino acids are incredible. They are essential in the production of energy and protein synthesis – especially in the muscle tissue. They prevent muscle breakdown during exercise, improve strength development, help aid post-workout recovery and even have anti-aging properties due to their formation of new mitochondria. They are found naturally in high protein foods such as milk, soy, beef, chicken and a bit in brown rice. These are not capitalized on enough as most people do not consume enough food-packed BCAA’s daily. Definitely an excellent supplement for those who are weight training and body building.
4) Omega 3’s: Your body needs Omega 3, 6 and 9 and cannot produce it on its own. They need to be consumed. Omega 6 and 9 are easily found and rarely too low. Omega 3’s are the hardest to find in natural foods and so is the one Omega that is lacking. Fish oil supplements are a great way to make up for this. In recent years, fish oil has become quite a popular supplement and has proven to help with lowering heart attacks, triglycerides and blood pressure. It has also proven to increase cognitive function helping the brain to stay sharp.
If you want a better body, you need to supply the inside to get the results on the outside. Since it is almost impossible to get the exact nutrients, vitamins, minerals and acids your body needs daily, supplements are an excellent way to make up for those deficiencies. Buy pure supplements and follow the directions. Adding supplements to your fitness training will help you build the physique you desire.